Saturday, January 19, 2013

(possibly) The Easiest Tortilla Soup!

 It has been freezing cold here in Oregon so why not warm up with some yummy and easy homemade soup!!
The key ingredients you need are:
  • chicken broth 
  • canned tomatoes
  • tomato paste

Beyond those three ingredients I literally started to dig in the pantry to see what would be good! Here is a list of what I added:
  • canned corn
  • yellow onion
  • garlic
  • canned green chilies 
  • black beans
  • pepper jack cheese 
  • chili powder to taste
First I browned the onions in a large pot on medium heat. While the onions were browning I opened all the cans, grated the cheese and washed the beans.
 Add the chicken broth, tomato paste and canned tomatoes and stir.
 Then add the beans, corn, chilies, garlic, and whatever else you decide to add! I let this all cook together on medium heat for about 20 minutes. 
 A few minutes before serving, I added the cheese to melt in. Check for taste and if needed chili powder, salt and pepper as needed.
I had tortilla chips on hand which I crushed for a little garnish and bam! Tortilla soup! How easy? It was perfectly spicy, chunky and warm on a cold winter day!


This was the only photograph I got before all the soup was snatched up!

No comments:

Post a Comment